Thursday, January 14, 2010

Superhero Movies

I have never posted to a blog, but hearing about the release of Spider-Man 4, or a reboot of the Spider-Man franchise made me want to start one.  First of all, it is completely unnecessary and definitely too soon for a franchise reboot.  Just because the 3rd movie wasn't any good and even if the main actors do not return to the series, does not mean you have to “reboot” the entire series.  They have a good ground work to go on and no one wants to relive the origin story again.

The problem with this franchise and all other superhero movie adaptations, is the production companies try to milk these movies for all they are worth.  I am perfectly aware that they are in it for the money and that the film industry is a business, but if you don’t please the fans, these movies will fail.

The Director

Whatever director you assign to a superhero franchise has to love the source material.  I don’t think it’s enough to be familiar with the comics.  You need to have a vast knowledge of them as well as wanting to see them succeed for what they are.  These comics have had success for 10 to 60+ years; decades before a lot of these filmmakers were even born, and they don’t need any of us to rewrite them or change them.  They have a working model and we don’t need to reinvent the wheel.  The directors job is to convey that story to the screen as best as possible and for the most part these guys have done a great job.

Who am I?

Who am I to speak to this topic anyways?  Well, first of all I am a comic fan.  I probably have over 3000 comics and have collected them since I was very young.  I am also a lover of good films, and an aspiring filmmaker myself.  I think the matchup of comics & film in this day and age is the best thing to happen to both industries in a long time.  I don’t want to see anyone mess it up.  Comics are the perfect “treatments” for filmmakers to work from.  They have tried and tested stories and I can’t wait to see what comes out next.  I have a lot to say on this topic, but let’s leave it here for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment