Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Drought is Over!

Inception 07 For the first time in a long time, going to the movies is fun again!  That’s right folks, I can’t remember the last time I have been this excited to go see a film and walk away from it feeling just as good.  The film I am talking about is Inception by the creative genius of Christopher Nolan, and it did not disappoint.  Since this was a Chris Nolan film, I knew it was going to be released at a certain level of quality.  If there is one thing that you rely on about Mr. Nolan, is that he will not release anything that isn’t written well.  It all starts with a good story.

Chris Nolan also knows that spectacle can’t carry a story.  This film was flooded with traditional and CGI special effects.  Things that we have all seen before in one way or another, but they were done in a complexly new and different way and that did not deter the writer from having a great story to tell.

Everything about this film came together, from the music, to the original story and how it was all put together.  It has so many elements, but did not leave the audience in the dust wondering what just happened.  Every single member of the cast was exceptional and fit perfectly with their characters.  I love all these actors from previous films and it was a delight to see them all work together on one film.

Prestige goes to Mr. Nolan for keeping it clean.  On top of all these wonderful story elements, he managed to have no more than a couple of swears, little to no gratuitous violence and nothing crude in the film.  Inception proves everything I have said and thought about filmmaking.  Start with a good script and only add what is necessary to carry the story forward.  Other filmmakers today have it backwards.

To my pleasant surprise, audiences have taken to this film and are raving about it all over.  I’m really glad to hear this, as I probably have not given the viewing public enough credit.  They want good films, but the general filmmaking population is starving them of it.  Thanks Chris for making films that you believe in.  I hope I can do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment